1862 Liberty Seated Dollar
The 1862 liberty seated dollar is a hot collectors item because not
pieces where made. Because of the American civil war (1861 - 1865) gold
and silver was scarce and also needed and that is the reason that not
many coins are left these days.
Some 1862 liberty seated silver dollar coin facts.
- Mintage: Circulation strikes: 11,540 / Proofs: 550.
- Coin designer: Christian Gobrecht.
- Diameter: 38.1 millimeters.
- Composition: Silver (90%) and Copper (10%).
- Weight: 26.73 grams.
- Edge: Reeded.
- Mintmark: Below the eagle on the reverse. (None for Philadelphia)
Here below are the images from an authentic and a counterfeit liberty
seated silver dollar coin, both showing the year 1862.